The 23rd Thessaloniki Documentary Festival goes online and presents documentaries from all over the world, a feature as well as documentaries for children and young people. In all, 50 documentaries will be presented from Thursday March 4 to Sunday March 14, 2021, through the Festival’s digital platform online.filmfestival.gr. The Festival is also launching a new podcast section with a series of workshops and an open discussion.
The Thessaloniki Documentary Festival will be held this year in a hybrid way. From March 4 – 14, 2021 it will take place online through the Festival platform for viewers in Greece and from June 24 until July 4, 2021 it will take place in physical venues and online. The Festival’s three competition sections and the Greek documentary production will be presented during the summer. Agora Docs will take place from June 25 to July 4, 2021.
"Forest Hymn for Little Girls", dir. Sara Bonaventura, 2020
NEW PODCAST SECTION
The Festival is entering the exciting world of podcasts, the digital files that have taken over the world, through a new section.
*Workshops: The Festival will host a series of online workshops for people interested in working professionally with podcasts. The workshops will offer tools and expertise on the genres and structure of podcasts. Documentary producer Delphine Saltel will talk on content and narrative techniques, audio engineer Peter Leonard will discuss sound engineering and production issues, while Gordon Firemark, who has practiced media and entertainment law will explore copyright and legal issues.
*Podclass: Meanwhile, on March 11, at 18:00 EET the 23rd TDF will host an open discussion in Greek on its YouTube channel with Fotis Sergoulopoulos presenter, actor and entrepreneur (podcasts LIFO), Lefteris Charitos, director (pod.gr) and Daphne Karnezis, journalist (founder of The Greek Podcast Project).
"Expedition to the End of the World", dir. Daniel Dencik (2013)
23rd TDF is exploring the modern experience of traveling and our relationship with it through its main tribute Destination: Journey that includes a total of 22 films; 20 documentaries and two fiction films. The tribute will be accompanied by a bilingual special edition, in which artists and academics approach different aspects of the journey.
The Festival invites viewers to discover the best recent documentaries from around the world by important documentarists, such as Frederic Wiseman. The Top Docs section features films that have traveled and continue to travel to international festivals, earning awards and distinctions:
- THE GROCER’S SON, THE MAYOR, THE VILLAGE AND THE WORLD, Claire SIMON, France-Belgium, 2020, 111’
- THE FILMMAKER’S HOUSE, Marc ISAACS, United Kingdom, 2020, 75’
- LIFT LIKE A GIRL, Mayye ZAYED, Denmark-Egypt-Germany, 2020, 93’
- BELUSHI, R.J. CUTLER, USA, 2020, 104’
- WAR AND PEACE, Massimo D’ANOLFI & Martina PARENTI, Italy-Switzerland, 2020, 128’
- HER MOTHERS, Asia DÉR & Sari HARAGONICS, Hungary, 2020, 75’
- CITY HALL, Frederick WISEMAN, USA, 2020, 275’
- NARCISSUS OFF DUTY, Renato TERRA & Ricardo CALIL, Brazil, 2020, 83’
- NOTTURNO, Gianfranco ROSI, Italy-France-Germany, 2020, 100’
- THE JUMP, Giedre ZICKYTE, Lithuania-Latvia-France, 2020, 85’
- WHITE NOISE, Daniel LOMBROSO, USA, 2020, 95’
- THE MOLE AGENT, Maite ALBERDI, Chile-USA-Germany-The Netherlands-Spain, 2020, 90’
- RADIOGRAPH OF A FAMILY, Firouzeh KHOSROVANI, Iran-Norway-Switzerland, 2020, 80’
- THE LAST HILLBILLY, Thomas JENKOE & Diane Sara BOUZGARROU, France-Qatar, 2020, 80’
- DOUBLE INCOME, KIDS, Hendrik SCHÄFER, Germany, 2019, 94’
- A GLITCH IN THE MATRIX, Rodney ASCHER, USA, 2021, 108’
- A SONG CALLED HATE, Anna HILDUR, Iceland, 2020, 90’
- BLOODY NOSE, EMPTY POCKETS, Bill ROSS & Turner ROSS, USA, 2020, 98’
"City Hall", dir. Frederick Wiseman (2020)
Listen to the voice of youth through the section NextGen of the online 23rd TDF. The films will be available for free for users from all over Greece.
THE POSTERS OF THE 23rd TDF
The posters of the 23rd Thessaloniki Documentary Festival were created by photographer Olga Deikou.
For more information on TDF’s program and the films, you can visit: www.filmfestival.gr